Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Deep Sleep Nirvana, A Reachable Goal?

8 Months ago I randomly had the most amazing sleep ever. I just woke up and felt like a spring chicken all morning and throughout the day. Since then I have tried to achieve this every night. After turning vegan I am getting closer and closer. I also did a ton of research and found different advice from each place, so I thought  I would put it here.

1) Don't watch TV or read an ipad, iphone
or anything that directs light into your eyes 1 hour before bedtime. Something about it inhibiting melatonin which helps you get to that deep REM sleep.  If you must read at night, use a book, or a ereader like a real Kindle, which doesn't beam light into your eyes. Read LA TIMES article.

2) Sleep away from your cell phone and electric outlets. My guess is try and keep everything 2 or 3 feet away. I read several stories of people that found the electric waves messed with their sleep and made them groggy all day.

3) Don't drink water 2-3 hours before sleeping.

4) Certain foods you aren't supposed to eat. I don't remember which, but obviously sugar and caffeine.

5) Journal. Write down your to do list so you don't have to think about it when you sleep.

6) Feet in a pool of salt. Really? I haven't tried that. But maybe a night shower or bath might help.

My Tips:

1) Eye Mask. Even if you don't like eyemasks, I LOVE this one. Dream Essentials I bought 4 since they start to break down if you use it a ton.

2) Ear plugs. Maybe not if you have an alarm clock and are scared you will miss it. But I will tell you there is virtually no way that they will stay in past the initial hour, so I doubt you will miss the alarm. So test it on a non alarm day. This helps you get to the deeper sleep faster.

3) Low watt bulbs in side lamps. Our lamp has two bulbs and two pulls. One has a 7w CFL and the other 15, depending on how much light we want.

4) DARKNESS!! AND LIGHTNESS.
For Darkness when you go to sleep, use the eyemask or make sure ALL lights are off. Hallway, streetlights, no light. I even cover my fire alarm light to make it darker.

But in the AM, I used to have black out shades keeping it dark in the AM. But I found if I crack the blinds at night 6-12 inches (which doesn't bring in light for us) then in the morning it is a slow and gradual wake up (yes even if you sleep in). I hope to experiment more with this.

Any other tips? Some sleepers just "got it" while others don't know how to get it. Sleep is where the body recovers. Nothing is more important. And if you can get efficient sleep you might be able to sleep an hour LESS and be more productive during the day. Make sure you cut out those sodas and caffeine all day long.

Frank, your NON sleep expert, hoping to consistently reach sleep nirvana.

No comments:

Post a Comment