Friday, July 20, 2012

Rethinking Breakfast. Quinoa, Nuts, Granola in seconds

Inspired by Rich Roll's comment on rethinking breakfast. I have moved my breakfast away from processed foods (not completely).

Summary of my morning cereal:
1 Part Granola
1 Part Red Quinoa
1 Part Mixed nuts
Some Nut Milk Unsweetened.

Granola:
I haven't fully mastered
this, but I buy in bulk from a natural food store the lowest sugar (note I didn't say low fat, stay away from that) that I can find. Usually 6g per serving.

Red Quinoa:
I make a batch for the week. The red is harder to find, but tastes better and has other benefits over white (black quinoa is too small for my taste). Red Quinoa from the fridge has a similar popping textgure like cereal. So it goes well. You can buy Red Quinoa from Amazon in packs of 4 for $22 with Subscribe and Save. Set it to deliver every 6 months to save 15%. Cancel if you want at anytime. About $1.50 less each pack versus Giant foods.

RAW Nuts:
I crush up RAW (as in no salt, no roasting, usually from Trader Joes or bought online) nuts. Don't crush them too much into a powder (not good for cereal), but into cereal flake sizes. It goes perfectly with the cereal.

Nut Milk:
I have a few that we regularly drink. From the fridge section a Almond Cononut from Blue Diamond. UNSWEETENED (not sold at Giant, but at some other grocery stores). Or from the shelf HEMP Vanilla Nut Milk Unsweetened (Amazon sometimes is sold out and the price is 2x too high. Keep it under $3.50 each or buy it locally), or Organic Almond Nut Milk Unsweetened (I tried 7 nut milks that were unsweetened, most tasted like water, not these).

Avoid Soy Milk.
And that is it. Frank (Update, I just started adding Hemp seeds, that works well too.)

3 comments:

  1. Frank-
    Recommend just a touch of honey if we want to sweeten it up? I know you guys do mostly stevia but Im still allergic to that metallic aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought I had a random stranger comment. Buy alas it is you.
    As for sweetener, it doesn't need any. The granola has some sugar too.
    If you must, you can use sweetened nut milk or agave nectar, but Carrie loves the mix without anything added. Also the point is to kick the sugar.

    ReplyDelete